Getting mentally prepared for an abortion in initial days of pregnancy is the best thing to happen after knowing about an unwanted pregnancy. As, as much the pregnancy develops, it becomes more complicated to be aborted. Therefore, pregnancy termination through abortion pills or any other means in the early stages has more success rate without any complications.
The early abortion procedure, medical abortion is considered the best option for pregnancy termination in the first trimester. This procedure involves taking abortion pills to end a gestation less than 10 weeks. It is very important to know the exact gestation duration of gestation before opting for medical abortion. This procedure is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be a safe and secure method of ending a fetus within 63 days of pregnancy.
Another thing which should be considered before a medical abortion is, female suffering from an ectopic pregnancy, ovarian mass, corticosteroid use, anaemia, bleeding disorder, IUD, kidney problems, blood pressure problem or liver/heart disease cannot have a medical abortion.
If you have not diagnosed with any of the aforementioned diseases, you can start the medical abortion procedure. This procedure includes the consumption of two different medicines namely Mifepristone and Misoprostol. These pills together are known as “abortion pills.” you can buy these two pills in individual packs or you can purchase MTP Kit, which contains both the medicines.
On the first day of the procedure, you have to take Mifepristone 200 mg orally. After 24 to 72 hours, you should consume 4 tablets of Misoprostol 200 mg buccally.
After some hours, you will feel cramping and bleeding. Moreover, one may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and weakness. You can take antibiotics to counter these side effects. Almost after a week, it is advised to visit a doctor and perform an ultrasound to check whether the method was successful or not. There is less than 2 per cent of chances of an unsuccessful abortion. But in case, if your pregnancy tissues are still in the womb, it is advised to seek medical attention immediately and if the gynaecologist prescribes you can use another kit of abortion pills.
Some Precautionary Points to Consider After a Medical Abortion-
- Maintain hygiene in your body parts, as you will be more likely to get an infection easily.
- Do not indulge in heavy physical activities like running, swimming etc for several days after an abortion.
- Try to take complete bed rest for a week.
- Do not use tampons at the time of bleeding after the medicine consumption. Instead, use maxi pads or normal pads and change your pads within every 4 hours.
- Try to not indulge in any kind of sexual intimacy for at least 2 weeks after the abortion.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited during and after the abortion procedure.