Medical abortion in the Netherlands was fully legalized on November 1, 1984. The law allows having an abortion to be done on demand until the twenty-first week. And in medical conditions, it can be performed until 24 weeks. Thus, women in Netherland can have a medical abortion without any legal restriction.
Abortion was termed as an illegal act under the penal code of 1886. In 1970s many western countries liberalized their laws and become the forefront topic for debate in the Netherlands. At last, the law passed 1981 and came into effect on November 1, 1984. After that, the procedure became as simple for women that even it can be conducted at home too.
Women in the Netherlands prefer having a medical abortion than surgical abortion.
There are Many Reasons Behind Their Preference Such as
- It costs less than the surgical abortion.
- It is less painful.
- It does not have any physical risk or complication.
- It provides much privacy than any other abortion process.
- Medical abortion provides early pregnancy termination as it can be done in the first trimester of pregnancy.
- It doesn’t require any kind of surgery, use of anesthesia and hospitalization.
- The efficacy rate of abortion pill is 95 to 97 per cent.
- It feels more natural like a miscarriage.
- The procedure is non-invasive.
Usage Method of Abortion Pills
The abortion pill (MTP Kit) consists of two different medicines, the primary one is Mifepristone and the secondary one is Misoprostol. Both the medicines work as an abortifacient if used in the right manner. The pill can be utilized in the first trimester of the pregnancy. Women who are up to 10 weeks (70 days) pregnant can terminate their pregnancy by Abortion pills.
The former pill, Mifepristone is consumed on the first day of the procedure. After a gap of around 24 to 48 hours, 4 pills of Misoprostol are taken. The pills restrict the nutrients to reach the progesterone hormone. Thus, the fetus dies in the womb and expels out of the body through vaginal bleeding. Abdominal pain, cramping and vaginal bleeding are common symptoms of medical abortion. Other than this, nausea, dizziness, fever, diarrhea, headache, and/ or breast tenderness are some side effects of the medicine. These repercussions are temporary in nature and none of them last long more than a day or two.